When looking for cheap car insurance, San Diego drivers have many options. California may have slightly higher average car insurance rates than the rest of the country, but San Diego drivers can still find competitive rates below the national average cost of car insurance. Of the top providers mentioned, the cheapest auto insurance company in San Diego is Geico, according to Bankrate’s 2021 Annual Premium Listing Study.
In San Diego, the average cost of car insurance for full coverage is $1,898 per year, or $158 per month. For minimum coverage auto insurance, the average annual premium is $692 per year. Although minimum coverage insurance is often less expensive due to its low levels of financial protection, insurance professionals generally recommend purchasing higher limits when possible to better protect your finances. For this reason, Bankrate looked at various features, in addition to cost, to find the best and cheapest car insurance companies in San Diego.
Best Cheap Car Insurance Companies in San Diego
Geico and Wawanesa offer some of the cheapest full-coverage car insurance in San Diego based on 2021 average rate data from Quadrant Information Services. Affordable rates are a priority for many drivers when it comes to car insurance, but there are more factors to consider than the cheapest rates.
To help find the best car insurance in the country and San Diego, Bankrate uses its Bankrate Score. The score operates on a five-point scale, with scores closer to five indicating better performance in several key categories. To calculate a company’s performance, we look at each company’s average annual premiums, industry ratings by trusted third parties, coverage options, discounts and affordability. Considering these aspects can help understand the strength of an insurance company’s customer service, its financial position, and the customization of policies for each customer.
|insurance company||Discount rate score||Note from JD Power (California)||Average annual premium for full coverage||Average annual premium for minimum coverage|
Geico is not only one of the cheapest car insurance companies in California, but also in San Diego. It offers the cheapest full coverage car insurance policies in San Diego on our list. Compared to other insurance companies, Geico has the fewest number of local in-person agencies, which may make it an ideal option for drivers who prefer self-service and need an insurance policy. standard automobile with little customization.
Learn more: Geico Insurance Review
Wawanesa Auto Insurance ranks at the top of customer satisfaction in JD Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, making it an attractive option for those who value a quality customer experience at a cost affordable. Renters may be eligible for a discount on multiple policies by bundling their renters and auto insurance policies, but Wawanesa does not currently offer homeowners insurance in California, which means landlords may not receive the same savings. .
Learn more: Wawanesa Insurance Review
Mercury auto insurance is only slightly more expensive than the top two options in San Diego. Based on its third-party ratings for customer service, Mercury doesn’t perform very well. Its auto insurance is also fairly standard compared to other carriers, but it has a special policy for drivers participating in services like Uber, Lyft, and other ride-hailing and ride-sharing companies.
Learn more: Mercury Insurance Review
Travelers Standard Car Policy is comparable to its competitors, but can be a great option for families with young drivers. Among the many discounts offered, Travelers offers a good student discount, an absent school student discount and a driver training discount to help make the cost of adding a young driver to a more affordable policy. However, unlike the other insurance companies on this list, Travelers does not rank in California for overall JD Power customer satisfaction.
Learn more: Travelers Insurance Review
Progressive focuses on personalizing car insurance through its Name Your Price tool, which helps drivers see what coverage choices are available within their designated budget. Despite the customization, Progressive is the most expensive option on this list for full and minimal coverage.
Learn more: Progressive Insurance Review
How to Get and Keep the Cheapest Auto Insurance in San Diego
There are a few steps to follow to ensure you get the most competitive car insurance rates. When looking for the citations, it is best to do the following:
- Compare the prices. Get quotes from several insurance companies to get an idea of what your rate might be. When reviewing quotes, be sure to check that the coverage selections for each company are the same so you can compare accurately.
- Know your coverage limits. While it’s best to purchase coverage above the California state minimum liability limits for better financial protection, it can also help to understand which liability limits are right for you and your situation. A licensed insurance professional can help you determine this if you are unsure.
- Review your driving record. To get an auto insurance quote, insurance companies will review your driving record to get the most accurate rate. If there are incidents that you do not recognize, you can work with the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) to have them removed from your record.
After getting your car insurance, here are some tips to help keep rates low:
- Be aware of location. Postal codes play an important role in calculating your insurance premiums. If you know your new address, you can use it to update your policy and get an estimate of what the premium change might be.
- Re-shop when live events happen. Major life events like adding a new driver or buying a new vehicle could be great opportunities to review your auto insurance policy to see if your policy needs adjustment for keep the best rate.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best car insurance company?
The best auto insurance companies for 2022 receive top scores for financial stability and customer service with extensive coverage across the United States. However, the best auto insurance company for you will depend on factors such as where you live, the type of car you drive, and your claims history. .
How much does car insurance cost in San Diego?
According to recent rate data collected from Quadrant Information Services, the average cost of car insurance in San Diego is $692 per year for minimum coverage and $1,898 for a full coverage policy.
What is gap insurance?
Many car buyers choose to finance their vehicle instead of buying it with cash. If the car is stolen or totaled, the buyer is responsible for repaying the loan, in addition to purchasing a replacement vehicle. Gap insurance pays off the difference between the amount owed on the loan and the depreciated value of the new car.
Bankrate uses Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Rates shown are based on a 40-year-old male and female with a clean driving record , good credit and the following complete coverage limits:
- Civil liability of $100,000 in bodily injury per person
- Civil liability of $300,000 in bodily injury per accident
- Civil liability of $50,000 in property damage per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 aggregate deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate has used a minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our basic profile drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles a year.
These are sampling rates and should only be used for comparison purposes.