* Not all providers have been included in our estimates for each state. Also, you may notice that some auto insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our ratings consider national factors, while our ranking for this article specifically looks at the best insurance providers for car insurance in North Carolina.
Geico (Government Employees Insurance Company) was established in 1936 to provide cheap car insurance to government employees. Since then, the provider has become one of the largest in the industry and is a great option for most types of drivers.
Our research shows that Geico Auto Insurance has some of the lowest rates for auto insurance in North Carolina. The company is also rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Here’s what one customer wrote on Trustpilot about their complaints experience with Geico:
“Affordable insurance rate. I have already used Geico for my three different cars at low prices. [pay] all my medical bills after my accident in 2016.
Along with a solid reputation, Geico offers unique policy add-ons. You can choose from:
- Glass cover: Opt for full glass protection in case a storm, road debris or other object damages the glass.
- Protection of assets: If your vehicle is broken into, you may receive additional compensation for items that were inside.
- Roadside assistance: This coverage includes towing, lockout, fuel delivery, jump start and other emergency services.
- Accident forgiveness: After an at-fault accident, you can keep your current rate.
- Rental car coverage: If your vehicle is in the shop due to a covered repair, your coverage will provide or reimburse you for a rental car.
To learn more about the car insurance provider, see our Geico car insurance review.
USAA tends to be one of the cheapest auto insurance providers out there. If you qualify for USAA auto insurance, you could end up paying well below the North Carolina auto insurance average.
There is one downside to USAA – its membership is selective. You may qualify for USAA if you are a military or veteran or have immediate family in the service.
USAA Received Highest Score for Customer Satisfaction in 2021 JD Power US Auto Insurance StudySM for the Southeast region (which includes Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, LouisianaMississippi, North Carolina, Caroline from the southand Tennessee) with a score of 890 out of 1,000 points.
This means USAA does a great job of responding to claims, communicating with customers throughout the process, and returning customer cars quickly. We believe that a strong claims process is the most important quality of an auto insurance company – it’s what you really pay them for, after all.
We also like that USAA Auto Insurance offers a few additional coverage options such as Roadside Assistance and Gap Insurance – which not all providers offer.
To find out more, see our USAA auto insurance review.
Erie Insurance has been in business since 1925 and has set many industry standards.
We highly value Erie for its low average costs and solid reputation for customer service. Erie customers can save with many discount opportunities, including:
- Discounts for safe driving
- Automotive Safety Equipment Discounts
- Multi-car discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Reduction of use
- Discount on annual payment plan
Erie has an A+ rating from BBB as well as an A+ financial strength rating from AM Best. In the 2021 JD Power Auto Insurance Study, Erie scored 874 points out of 1,000, placing it second in the Southeast region.
For more, read our full Erie Insurance Review.
North Carolina Farm Bureau (NCFB) is one of the largest auto insurance companies in the state of North Carolina. It has offices in every county and an extensive network of local agents.
The company is a good choice for North Carolina drivers looking cheap car insurance. Customers must be members of the NCFB to be eligible for a policy, which costs $25 per year. However, drivers can more than offset these costs by taking advantage of many NCFB discount offers, including:
- Discount on multiple policies
- Discount for several vehicles
- Experienced Driver Discount
- Discount on full payment
- Discount for married couples
- Discount for vehicle safety devices
NCFB also offers home, life, health and business insurance. Customers can bundle these policies to save even more in North Carolina.
For more information see our North Carolina Farm Bureau Review.
It’s common to consider Progressive auto insurance when thinking of industry leaders. Although the company is one of the top players in the industry, it also offers some of the lowest rates for good drivers in North Carolina.
For the most part, you’ll pay more to go with Progressive rather than Geico, but many motorists prefer the company and the service. Also, the only way to know for sure is to get quotes from both vendors.
Progressive is not rated by the BBB. Plus, it didn’t score as highly as Geico or our other recommendations in the JD Power Auto Insurance study. Still, customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive, like the one below:
“My parked car was hit by a fleeing driver. A person who witnessed the crash obtained the getaway vehicle’s license plate. They had Progressive Insurance, and the agent came to my house, looked at the damage, and wrote me a check right away. I was very pleased and impressed with the amount and speed with which Progressive responded.
When it comes to additional coverage, you have several options available from Progressive, including:
- Gap insurance: If your vehicle is deemed a total loss, Progressive will cover up to an additional 25% of the vehicle’s current value to help pay off the loan or lease.
- Roadside Assistance: This plan provides for towing, flat tire changes, lockout services, fuel delivery and similar emergency services.
- Carpool coverage: Most apps only cover the driver when they’re transporting passengers with Uber or Lyft, leaving them vulnerable while waiting for a job. Progressive covers the interim for complete protection.
- Reimbursement of the rental car: Rental vehicles are partially covered when your car is in store due to a covered loss.
- Custom parts and equipment: If you have spare components on your vehicle, Progressive will pay for the damaged equipment if it occurred during a covered incident.
To learn more about the car insurance provider, see our progressive car insurance review.